If you know someone who is addicted to a substance or practice, you can certainly help them. There are several treatments that can accommodate to every addiction, especially with gambling.
Here are the steps to stop gambling addiction, how to maintain recovery and how to deal with the cravings:
- Admitting that you have a gambling addiction is the first step in order to treat it. It is acknowledging that there is a problem that is needed to be resolved.
- Devise an alternate way to handle difficult feelings. Most of the times, these negative feelings such as stress, depression, anxiety, and fear can cause the person to look for an outlet to handle such feelings. This is usually where the gambling problem starts.
- Attending support group for gamblers. The best guidance on how to handle gambling problem should come from someone who has already gone through such addiction. They can provide valuable insight and can really relate to people who have a gambling addiction.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy. The focus of this therapy is about the psychological effect of the addiction to the person. The goal is to change his/her unhealthy gambling thoughts.
- Changing your lifestyle. Since a person with gambling problem has a sedentary lifestyle, spending too much time in front of the computer, you should change it and be more active. Try different sports that you will definitely enjoy.
- Try to relax. Once in a while, try to go outside your house and go to the nearest park. You can just sit there and enjoy the scenario, or you can bring a book, sit under the tree and just relax there.
- Give yourself a reality check. Evaluating and checking your financial situation after your gambling problem will make you realize many things, especially the situation that you are in right now due to your choice regarding this matter.
- Spend quality time with loved ones and friends. After this event in your life, you can still rebuild your relationship with the people around you. Do some bonding activities with family members or try to catch-up with your friends and colleagues.
You can definitely help yourself, or someone that you know who are experiencing gambling problems, because there are many ways how to treat it. You just have to believe in yourself and have someone to support you along the way.